Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bacon Waffle Night!

So Monday was Porgie's night. He is by far our best eater. He will try anything once. Isn't he a cutie? I know I am a little biased, but even if he wasn't mine I'd say he's pretty cute. Anyway when it came his turn, he was all about breakfast for dinner. Who doesn't love breakfast for dinner? And with breakfast you must have bacon! So when Porge decided to put the bacon in the waffles I thought, "Wow this kid is on to something." Genius right? The salty bacon in the fluffy waffle and the sweetness of the maple syrup. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Here are Porgie's ingredients for the dinner. On the menu for the night were Bacon Waffles, (we just followed the directions for waffles on the pancake mix box) scrambled eggs, and homemade blueberry sauce made from the berries we picked last summer.

Look at him cut up the bacon. Even at eight I am pretty sure the kid is a natural. He wasn't even grossed out by the squishiness of the bacon.

Here is Porge's big brother Buzz. I think this kid could smell bacon from a mile away!

We chopped it up into about 1in. pieces. That way they cook down to bite size, remember these are going in the waffle batter! Yummy!

Bacon is pretty easy to cook but it pops a lot, so when the kids cook it I keep the heat a little lower to avoid some of the popping. We also trade off with the stirring if they want, but Porge is stirring like a champ here, I think I only had to stir once or twice for him.

Isn't it pretty? Don't forget to drain it on paper towels. Or if you are like me with the ever empty paper towel holder, you can unfold napkins and layer them as well.

Stirring the pancake batter. I know, not momentous but I wanted to make sure that you know he did make that too. Believe me you are all getting off easy here. Miss Dagny, my oldest, was the photographer for "Waffle Night" and I down loaded 118 pictures of the event!

Now, for the big moment! Porge adds the bacon to the waffle batter. I swear we cooked more bacon than you see there but between my husband and Buzz's bacon swiping this was all we had left!

While the waffles are cooking Porgie starts the blueberry sauce. It is super easy!!! 1/2 cup of sugar, 4tsp of cornstarch, see above.

1/2 tsp of cinnamon, whisk in 2/3 cups of water

Bring to a boil

Dump in 2 cups of blueberries!

MMMMMMMMM BLUEBERRY SAUCE!

We also made scrambled eggs. Yes, I even let my 8 year old crack the eggs. He didn't do to bad if I do say so myself!
Now on to dessert, chocolate covered bacon!!! Are you scared?

Don't be. It is pretty easy to make! Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler and dip away!

Check out that bacon. Now I do have to say we cheated and bought the precooked bacon because we thought it would be easier since it is so flat. Don't do it, it is too thin our chocolate covered bacon tasted like chocolate chips with a bit of salt. Next time, and I am sure there will be a next time, we will buy thick cut bacon from the local butcher instead. I guarantee it will be better.

BACON WAFFLES
Sorry I didn't get a picture of one with the blueberry sauce on it, Miss Dagny was too busy eating to be bothered with taking any more pictures than this one.
Now don't you wish you had been here?

Check back next week! Nanni is making stuffed shells on Sunday!






3 comments:

  1. Bacon Waffles - Drool! Porgie's dinner looks yummy. Looking forward to Nanni's dinner next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Carrie, I'll have to put you on my blogroll, do you mind me doing that? Bacon waffles look yummmm...great idea.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be cool Moni, thanks for visiting!

    Mellie- Thanks for visiting, Nanni is so excited about dinner tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete